Finance and Governance
Exempt / Confidential Item:
Declarations of Interest Received:
Annual Review of Fees and Charges for Registration Services within St Helens 2021-22
Summary of Decision:
Review of the current fees and charges for Registration Services in St Helens for 2021-22.
1. To seek approval to increase a number of fees as outlined in this DED with effect from 1 April 2021 subject to further increases during the financial year if required.
Summary of Reason for Decision:
Using information on the fees in force in neighbouring authorities as a benchmark the proposal will bring the fees in St Helens broadly in line with neighbouring authorities and will take into account inflation since they were last reviewed 0058 2018/19.
Reason for Decision:
1. Since 1995 local authorities have been able to charge for the attendance of the registrars at marriage ceremonies taking place at approved premises. With effect from December 2005 the Marriages and Civil Partnership (Approved Premises) Regulations 2005 allowed local authorities to set the fees for the attendance of registrars for marriage also civil partnership ceremonies held in approved premises. In St Helens there are currently eleven approved premises were such ceremonies can take place. Fees for the services of a registrar are payable to the local authority.
The following fees are OTS of VAT.
2. Approved Premises (externally owned properties) Attendance of the Registrar fees:
Monday to Thursday £380.00 to £390.00
Friday £420.00 to £435.00
Saturday £440.00 to £470.00
Sunday £515.00 to £540.00
Bank Holidays £540.00 to £540.00
3. Town Hall Rooms (decommissioned rooms within the Town Hall Register Office)
The following fees are not a room hire fee nor do they form part of a wedding package which includes a reception as the fee would be STD rated VAT as currently being proposed by HMRC. Attendance of the Registrar is currently OTS of VAT.
4. Council Chamber
Monday to Thursday new fee £400.00 (future implementation during 2021-22 date to be advised)
Friday £440.00 to £450.00
Saturday £490.00 to £500.00
5. Room 5 Monday to Thursday new fee £150.00 (future implementation during 2021-22 date to be advised)
6. Room 8 Monday to Thursday new fee £200.00 (future implementation during 2021-22 date to be advised)
7. Provisional Booking Fee £40.00 to £42.00
No other locally set fees to increase at this time.
No other statutory increases within this DED as those fees are set by government which include the Statutory Marriage ceremony or Civil Partnership signing Fee of £46.00 for the Register Office room within the Town Hall offered Monday to Thursday at 9.30 am for the couple and their witnesses only (no guests).
Risks Associated with this Decision:
Celebratory Services using the Town hall building causing wear and tear of the flooring and furniture.
Measures to Redress Risk:
Good marketing of the service. Most couples who opt to have a ceremony in St Helens are likely to pay the fee as is not prohibitive. Fees for certificates are also not prohibitive however the option remains to pay the statutory fee. Take up will be monitored.
Anti Poverty / Human Rights / Agenda 21 Implications:
Please Contact Anne B Atherton - Ext 3391 for more details.